Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The 4th of July

I love the 4th of July. Not only is the patriotism very important to me, but I just love all the happiness and good cheer that seems to be in the air. I also really like it because to me, it is a sign that fall is approaching...which leads to my favorite time of the year: Halloween through January 2nd.

My boys, the 2 older ones anyway, are finally to the point where they remember the year before and therefore have a TON of excitement for what is happening. When we mentioned the 4th of July, they both immediately asked about fireworks. We have been in such a drought that we weren't sure if we would be able to do anything, so we played it pretty low.

We finally decided, on Sunday the 2nd, that we would buy some of the smaller things that are kid friendly. DH sat outside with our 3 year old and 1 year old. I went in with the other 2. OH MY GOSH! They were both talking a mile a minute. They were SO excited that it was painful. My oldest actually started to walk through the little fence area to separate patrons from the fireworks.

We spent a whole $30....well, $30.52 to be exact. We got small stuff: snaps, snakes, roman candles, roses, satellites, sparklers and a fountain. We also got a "climbing panda." UGH! I HOPE you didn't waste your money on that worthless little critter.

Anyway, after a much needed thunderstorm, we went outside to pop and shoot and light our stuff. We had their attention for about 30 minutes. Soon, my dh and I ended up sitting at the edge of our drive watching the more expensive lights while the others played.

What a wonderful 4th!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did your neighbors come out to watch or participate? I love the fourth because it brings everyone out of their houses and you finally get to talk with those neighbors that usually hibernate inside. We live on a corner with three streets coming off of us and at the end of every street someone was shooting them off. So nice for those of us who are to cheap to go by them. $30.52 is excellent!