Wednesday, September 24, 2008

SATURDAY MORNING

Saturday mornings NOW are a lot different than they were THEN.


Now, I want to sleep. If I get to sleep until 8:00 a.m. I count myself lucky. THEN? I couldn't wait to get up.


What is it about Saturdays that is so different than the rest of the week? Take the kids. My children are HARD to wake up in the mornings. We get up at 7:00 during school. That is not some horribly early hour. My 2nd gets up better than the others, but we still have to work on him. My oldest....we have to nag for about 20 minutes. My youngest 2? Well, if my hubby is home, we just leave them for a few extra minutes.


Here comes Saturday......6:30 a.m. (or earlier) and I have one of my children asking if they can either play PlayStation, or watch T.V. "JUST DO IT, ALREADY!"


I was the same way. I didn't watch TV during the week. But Saturday mornings were all mine. I used to think it was a nice gift my parents gave me. Now, I know it was their need for sleep.


I would sneak into the living room and turn the KNOB to one of the 3 stations we got. (There were only 13 numbers to choose from and only 3 of those played what I craved for a week at a time.) It was the desire of every child from age 5-12. CARTOONS!!!


So excited was I for the start of cartoons (at 8:00 a.m.) that I would rush out a bit too early. And disappointed (and obviously a bit "clock-reading" challenged) I would see this:










Like Pavlov's dog, the test signal cued me to begin breakfast preparations. On the menu for every Saturday morning?








At long last, after finishing my cereal and seeing the sun come up, I would begin my weekly binge of violence and stare, as if hypnotized, to the evils of the world.



"SUFFERIN' SUCCOTASH!"





"CONJUNCTION JUNCTION! WHAT'S YOUR FUNCTION?"


OK...I don't remember a catch phrase from this, but all I know is this: except for the cute little dino, this show creeped me out!




And Chaka......Do you remember him? It's like some kind of cave-Ewok.....what's up with his melon?




One minute to go tinkle.




"HEY! HEY! HEY!"


Right when I'm getting settled into some mind-numbing posture...no doubt involving some drool...THIS would come on.

UGH! I HATED this....you remember the voice? "The SOOOOOOOOOUL Train!" Then the blasted iron horse would chug it's way across my dad's 23 inch Zenith, F3385H, floor model.





Welp....that is my week of cartoons. I guess it's time to go play outside.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED School House Rock!! I recently found the boys a Fraggle Rock DVD at Target for 5 bucks!!

Anonymous said...

Beaney and Cecil, Josey and the Pussycats, Archie, Top Cat, Fat Albert, hey hey hey!! Beep Beep!!

But then came Soul Train!!! I love Soul Train with Don Cornelius!! I learned to dance watching Soul Train. NOT American Bandstand!! NO! The SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOul Train!!

Wow, I am old...

Anonymous said...

I loved all of these but you forgot Fraggle Rock, and who could forget the littles.
Like you I have to drag my kids out of bed during the week and on Sundays but come Saturday mornings they are in our room at the crack of dawn like a couple of roosters.

LRFK said...

I was a Land of the Lost kind of child. I also liked the Bugaloos!

R and R Stacy said...

I so remember all those fun cartoons. I use to love Saturday mornings. That's funny before our trip to Corous I bought the kids the movie Fat Albert. They like it.

momto3_jjj said...

Brings back so many memories!

Kaira said...

That's so funny! I have told my hubs about those colored bars I used to have to watch for what seemed like HOURS as I waited for the cartoons to start. I remember watching Smurfs the most. I also remember those "The More You Know" commercials in between cartoons - they usually featured a celebrity sharing bits of wisdom in between commercials. I was excited when it was Kirk Cameron hosting :)