Sunday, July 26, 2009

MY TRIP

I will get into more detail later. I will share pictures then, too. I just wanted to say, first of all, that we are back.

Secondly, I wanted to share a huge highlight!

We went to the Old Manse in Concord Massachusetts. It was owned by the Emersons....as in Ralph Waldo.

Nathaniel Hawthorne rented it and wrote some of his works.

Henry David Thoreau planted a garden there.

Cool as all that is, there is a beautiful, 1864 Steinway. It is a square grand (much like this picture). Oh my....my heart jumped when I saw it. I got to play a chord on it.

NO, I didn't have to sneak in to touch it. It is, in fact, one of the only items you may touch. Pianos need to be played to keep it in good condition.

The lady giving us the tour asked if anyone played. Well, I do....I have played for over 30 years. However, I get a little freaked when I know someone will be listening. (I never had that trouble when I was a teenager, but I was a lot better then.)

Needless to say, I couldn't just leave and admit that I didn't even touch the great instrument.

We have decided to go back in a few years. I have told my hubby that before we go, I'm going to continue practicing a few bars of Moonlight Sonata. (I have it memorized, but still don't like to play in public.) And, when they ask, I will be ready.

PS....obviously, I haven't yet figured out how to post a picture on my new computer. It's an Apple MacBook Pro. SO...I'm calling on my friend Catey. Girl! I need some dummy directions, please!

2 comments:

Mommy Spice said...

Glad you're back. Can't wait to see pictures!!

Unknown said...

WELCOME HOME! Sounds like a fantastic trip!