Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY





Hey, y'all. My friend, Lisa and her twin sister Lana, host this blog carnival. It is a lot of fun. Pop on over and you can see so many recipes, kitchen tips and other fun things on this carnival. I hope you will join us.


For my contribution to this carnival, I have chosen to post on rice...PERFECT rice.

For years, I would cook rice and it would end up a bit sticky. It didn't matter what I did.

I tried so much. I tried drying out the cooked rice in the oven. I tried frying it first. I tried more time to make sure everything was soaked up. I made sure to follow the manufacturers' directions to a "T." Only now do I know that the manufacturers do not know how to fix their own product.

Nope...I found this out from my Martha. She has a wonderful new book out that gave me this lovely tip. I tried it once and the rice was PERFECT! I'll never cook rice any other way.

PERFECT RICE

1 cup long-grain white rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt

In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil.

Stir in rice and salt.

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 16-18 minutes. (It takes mine 16 minutes)

Remove lid to check. You should see craters in the rice where the steam is releasing.

Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes.

Fluff with a fork.

It is great. It is cooked through and NOT gummy.

Hope this helps someone :)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

My family loves rice but I usually use a rice cooker

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thank you!! I am not a good rice maker!!! I needed this post.