Here in Texas, it has been spring for weeks....all the blooms are fading and the trees are leafing out. AND in true Texas weather fashion, you count on at least one more cold snap by Easter. I hope that we are in the last snap right now. Yesterday, it was in the 80s. Today, it is in the 30s/40s, windy and rainy...with more of the same for the next 3 days.
I'm not sure what it is about spring that makes me want to do a bit of cleaning. It makes me want to get stuff done that I don't think about every week....or every month, for that matter.
As I LOVE lists and how-to type things, I thought I would share a few things with you.
First, here is a link about spring cleaning:
Back in the day, a serious spring cleaning was done, mostly in the colder areas. Houses were sealed in tight to keep out the cold and keep in the warmth. When it was finally warm enough, windows were thrown open to air out the "sick germs" and freshen the rooms. The home was cleaned from top to bottom.....a lot of soot on surfaces from the stove that, I'm sure, was kept burning 24/7.
All the linens washed, rugs beat, clothing switched out.....gardens were put in, fences were white-washed, and an inventory of the canned goods was taken. Since most people didn't get to just run down to the store, they had to live on what they had "put-up" during the summer.
In this day and time, we are in a bit of an easier situation, but it is still a good idea to jump into spring cleaning. Here are some things that I am doing and will be doing over the next few weeks/months. I would love for you to comment and share some things you might do that I haven't thought of. (Some of this stuff is done more often that once a year, but these are some things I'm needing to do right now - or have DH do. Also, I will not list things in a normal week of cleaning......stop laughing, DH!)
- clean all linens (including curtains, bed spreads and blankets)
- flip/turn mattresses: vacuum the mattress before AND after the flip. Freshen with either Febreeze or baking soda
- wipe down walls, doors and baseboards
- air out the house (open windows....at least two on opposite sides of the house so the air will pull through)
- vacuum UNDER/BEHIND furniture....the heavy stuff
- wash light fixtures (yes...you have to remove the globes)
- put away the winter coats
- clean out fire place of all ashes; close damper
- hose down outside of house
- work on garden
- clear out computer files
- clear ceiling and walls of any little fuzzy cobwebs
- wipe down the inside of all kitchen cabinets
- wipe down TOP of refrigerator (yep...the top you don't ever see, but know that it is NASTY!)
- get lawn mower, tractor mower, tiller and weed-eater up and running
WOW! I guess now that it is up there I actually have to start working on it. Who said I'm not smart?
Hope you have a wonderful beginning of spring. Let me know how you are doing.ETA:
clean out the vent-a-hood