I could have researched a lot of results.....just as many pros as cons, I dare say. I decided not to. I don't want this to be an article stating fact. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts and feelings on the subject.
I have some friends who don't do any shots for their children. I have no problem with this, I really don't. They have (I trust) prayed the matter through and have decided what is best for their children. And, that should never be taken away. Though I have never asked, I feel that one of my friends chose to not immunize due to religious reasons. I have some friends that probably don't do shots because they are a bit "granola" and depend on nature/homeopathic things vs. synthetic or man-made drugs.
I have one friend who started with shots with her first, but did not continue with her other 2. Her son is autistic. She believes that the autism is due to mercury levels in some of the shots.
I get shots for my kids. I know that God will take care of us. I trust God. I also know that God expects me to use my noggin and use doctors. It is a matter of choice and conviction.
I do, however, watch HOW the shots are given.
My oldest, at 12 months, received the varivax (chicken pox) along with the MMR (measles, mumps & rubella). I knew that he could have a bit of fever. He had fever for 4 days. The doctors had told me if, at day 5, he still had fever, to bring him in. Day 4.....fever gone. Day 5......no fever. Day 6.....
Day 6: (setting the scene): Baby at daycare, Mom in 1st year of teaching (about 6 months pregnant), Dad just getting home from his crash pad in Puerto Rico
Day 6 I get a phone call from the daycare saying that my son is currently in a tepid bath (doctor's orders) to bring down a 105 fever.
Yep...they had called the doctor. They had me, my hubby and my doctor on the phone finding out what to do, when we could pick him up, doctor telling the daycare to tell us to get him to the ER (DUH) ASAP.
Yep, Day 6 he actually broke out with chicken pox on the lower extremities and ran high fever. We had to make sure he didn't have a blood infection.
I soon jumped online to find out what was up. It turns out that when the varivax and MMR are given together, there is a *slight* chance of this happening. I knew that we would probably never face that with my other 3. But, I didn't want to take that chance. It is a scary thing, rushing your child to the ER. So, every time my kids were due those shots I just had the varivax put off by 6 months. We never had issues again.
Well, now, I'm faced with another decision. The flu shot. More specifically, something for swine flu. We did the flu shots for 2 years. I didn't have a problem until I found out that there were several strains that you couldn't be vaccinated against. Hmmmm....We stopped getting the shots for a few years. No issues....last year, my youngest did have a mild flu affliction. It was so mild, in fact, that the doctor was shocked to find out the results.
The swine flu, they say, is really no worse than the regular flu. MY only difference in consideration is the fact that my third is predisposed to asthma AND he is in school this year. Something to think about.
What are your thoughts?*
*Please note: I am not asking for advice. I will pray and talk to my hubby and together, we will decide. I am just curious as to what you do and why.
(P.S. I am not going to proof this just now. I need to get the kids in bed. Please excuse any typos or grammatical errors.)