Thursday, February 18, 2010

WEATHER


So, here in North Texas, we get all sorts of weather. The things you can absolutely count on, year in and year out are: super hot in summer and a tornado warning or 6.

We are either in drought or facing flash floods. We have a cool and comfortable fall... which lasts about 2 weeks. Our springs are beautiful... and equally short. Our winters are more fall-like if comparing to the upper states.

In winter, we stay around 50 with nights dipping to around freezing. When we do have winter weather, it only lasts a day or 2. Really cold temps (for us) hit in the mid 20s. And any winter precipitation to be enjoyed comes in the form of ice. IF we get snow... and I say "IF" it hits in the northern most part of the metroplex with only a light dusting. Any measurable snowfall occurs only every 4-8 years.

A typical "ice stormy-day" looks like this: wake up in the low 40s (with the warning of a front coming in.) Winds shift and pick up. Rain starts, turning to sleet. School released early so parents won't be in ice at real dismissal time. Sleet continues for a few hours. Hard freeze overnight. School cancelled for the day. Temps, that day stay below freezing. Then, the NEXT day, watch out for black ice in the morning. Temps rise to over 50 and we all breathe a sigh of relief that we have survived another North Texas winter.

This winter has been.... well... it has been unusually cold. We have had some days where we have been greeted by teens and/or single digit true temps.... which doesn't happen often. We have had a really long string of sub-freezing nights and below average temperature days.

Well, two weeks ago today, we started hearing buzz about some winter weather... usually means really cold and then, possibly ice. We don't get too excited until the day before when the forecast is fine-tuned enough to actually make plans.

Imagine our surprise when Thursday morning, we awoke to a light dusting of snow on the ground.

Now before I go on, I need to tell you of the moans, whines and extreme disappointment of my children when I took them to school. Our "snow" usually melts within a few hours, as the ground is so warm. I am known to let the kids skip school in order to play in the snow... because, sadly, it will be gone by the time they get home.

As it was so cold and the sky looked promising, I carted them off to school. I made promises to come get the kids at the first sign of melting. Imagine my surprise when we got a call that school was dismissing early "due to worsening road conditions."

SO, I loaded up #4 and went to pick up #s 1-3.... the 15 minute trip took me 25 minutes... not too bad. I parked in a way that I wouldn't have to back up and risk hitting something/someone because of an icy/foggy back window.

I got stuck in the parking lot.

Really.

In the 10 minutes I was in the school, the FTU got stuck. I had to "rock" the FTU a bit to finally get out.

It took me 40 minutes to get home.

School was cancelled Friday.

Church cancelled Sunday (due to no power).

School was cancelled Monday (due to no power).

I have never seen so much snow in my life. Nor have my children.


Friday morning



Moose, the dog, chin deep in the white stuff




Snow Angels




Thirteen inches total



Momma's boots



#4 on Thursday looking over the neighbor's yard



#3 in the fort on Thursday



#s 1 and 2 enjoying every minute


One week later, we are seeing the last of the snow-creatures melt, puddles growing while snow shrinks in the shadows and 60 degrees......

WINTER IN NORTH TEXAS!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am jealous. We got a good bit, but no where near 13 inches!

Unknown said...

Looks like fun!

Mommy Spice said...

And all we got was rain! I have to admit that I was a bit "bitterly" jealous when I started seeing everyone's facebook pictures. I joked when we first moved there that at least I was moving to a part of Texas that actually got snow occasionally. All I got while I lived there was a light dusting...one time. I can't believe how much snow y'all got...and we got none! I'm trying to not be bitter anymore... ;)

Love the pictures!!

~LL~ said...

Anonymous said:

Survival group against God?? LOL. Good luck with that. Truth is, no one knows the exact time this will happen except the man upstairs, however, I firmly believe that there are people placed here by God that post the warning signs and it's up to you to take heed.

**This was edited to remove some links that I didn't want on here....