Tuesday, October 07, 2008

MAKES MY HEINEY PUCKER


And it wasn't even my situation....not really.

We went to The Great State Fair of Texas. SO MUCH FUN. So much money.

Anyway, DH was riding a roller coaster with the 2 older boys. My 3rd was not tall enough, so I took him on a smaller ride. (Frankly, I don't know why he could ride this specific ride instead of the one mentioned...but I digress.)

AS I WAS SAYING, we were on a different ride....kind of like the Octopus. The claw that has the seats hanging from the top arm. It raises, spins, twists, and turns....I had to pray...LITERALLY....that I would not puke. (again...digression)

My 5 year-old and I climbed on and got the shoulder bar pulled down and locked into place. I looked around and saw a mom with her 9 or 10 year old son, all grins....she was locked in...he was not.

She asked me, "Could you wave that man down? He needs to lock in my son."

First, for those who don't know me, my voice carries....well....ok, really, I'm LOUD. (I don't have to try.) So I wave and holler, "SIR!"

I did this about a dozen times....leaning to the left trying to catch the eye of the man locking the seats....leaning to the right trying to be noticed by the man operating the machine.

I looked at the mom and said, "He'll probably be back around to check."

I continue waving, kicking and hollering.

Next thing we know...the arm starts to lift up. Had my heiney not been puckered so tightly, I would have pooped my britches! The mom, in hysterics, screams at her son, "GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!" At the same time, using her left arm to physically shove him out of the seat.
These kind of seats have the raised area that fits between your legs to keep you from sliding out.

He finally got out and dropped about 4-5 feet. As soon as he hit the ground, people waiting in line began screaming and waving that there was a loose body under the ride. The boy ran over to the gate where the operator just froze (thankfully, after pushing the "stop" button"). A few seconds later, upon coming to his senses, the operator lowered the ride, and the boy (surprisingly) got back on, strapped in and all went as planned.

That could have been bad.....really bad....REALLY BAD.

I still have the memory of that momma's face in my mind...I hear her screams....I put myself in her place and think of my own children.

One of those freak accidents that could change lives forever.

Thank you, God, for keeping your hand upon that boy. For helping him to be instantly obedient and for giving that momma the physical strength to help her son out of the seat.

For helping me not throw up.

10 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my goodness! Praise God he was ok. How scary!! :(

Unknown said...

HOLY COW!! I would have pooped a dang brick!! Glad that the little guy is OK! LOL at your teacher voice.

Ashley said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I couldn't imagine seeing that! Mercy.

Anonymous said...

Holy Mother!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Well, another reason that I don't like those rides. Oh my.

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh LL, this could have been a nightmare. As I was reading I was so scared as to what was going to happen. I am so glad that mom just pushed her son out, in that split momment how scary that must have been. Praise God for the outcome to this all!

Jamey said...

Wow that would have been so scary, I am so glad no one was hurt! Crazy, how fast things can change in the blink of an eye.

Totallyscrappy said...

How freaky!

Anonymous said...

This really could have been a horrific accident if the mother had not been thinking and pushed him out. I on the other hand probably would have been pancing so bad that I would not have thougth to do that. Thank GOD he was ok.

Kaira said...

Oh my... the horror of it! The sad thing about it all is that the incident probably just passed without notice. The family rode, got off and went on with their day - as did the foolish carnival worker.

When I was in elementary my parents dropped me off at a ride with some friends and went off to explore other areas and I was not properly buckled into the ride I went on. It was a terrifying experience. I spent all the upside down time hanging upside down in the seat and holding onto the bar that went up for dear life. I could feel myself slipping every time we went upside down. I was terrified, and apparently stupid because I never said a word to anyone. I couldn't wait to get off that ride! I still, to this day, remember the horror of it all. I love roller coasters and carnival rides but that one was something else all together.