Wednesday, August 18, 2010


This school year is one I have been awaiting for a long time. Before now, I spent 5 years at home..... 5 years carting some, but not all, of my kids to and from school.

The first year I was home, I had 3 kids at home and 1 at school. I put the 2nd one into school after that 1st year. The next 3 years, I had 2 kids in school and 2 at home. My 3rd went to school with no problems. That fifth year, the older 3 were in school and my youngest was at home.

Though my first year as a SAHM was tough, I got to where I can say that I REALLY enjoy being home. Because of that, and because my hubby is awesome, I have 1 more year. I get to be room-mom for my youngest and a volunteer for the other 3. Around that, we will have the insanity of extra-curricular activities and I will substitute teach some.

My friends, who realize I just put my baby into kindergarten, have been asking me how I feel now that my house is empty. And, honestly, I am, just today, on day 3, able to feel what it is like to be sans kids.

Monday, we anticipated a few separation issues with my youngest. He, and my 3rd, have been my little buddies their whole pre-school lives. My 3rd went to school which left me with DS #4. Play dates and shopping. Picnics and coloring. We did everything together.

So, imagine my surprise, and a bit of disappointment, when he let go of me MUCH sooner than I was ready to let go of him. We dropped the brothers off in their respective class lines and then headed to the kinder area. We walked in, talked to the teacher and sat behind a little girl named Kayla. DS #4 looked around, put his hands on my arm and said, "Momma, I love you. I am ready for you to go now. Don't worry, they will protect me from a tornado and I WON'T let anyone see my underwear."

And with that.... I was dismissed.

Having my first totally free day in a really long time, my hubby decided to treat me to Chipotle, then Hobby Lobby for some Christmas lookin'. First, we went to shoot some new guns... totally fun, but it was scorching outside.

We left to go eat and hubby asked if I would rather have Chuy's. THAT was a decision that was difficult to make. I mean, Chipotle IS one of my favorites of all time. But, the chance for an adult, sit-down meal... and good Mexican food to boot.... well, I ended up choosing Chuy's. I had the chile relleno, which was divine, but, I digress.

Upon reflection, I think the offer of Chuy's was totally strategic on my hubby's part. You see, though he tolerates my Christmas habit, he doesn't participate in it as I do. He will pay for the stuff and he enjoys it between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but between you and me, he's my lovable little humbug. That being said, because we didn't have the quickness of Chipotle, I didn't have a lot of time in Hobby Lobby. In fact... I only had bout 15 minutes. NOT. ENOUGH. TIME!

I can't complain, though. Usually when I ask him to go with me, he complains so much that I vow to not ask him again... for that year. Well, he didn't complain. I do hope to talk him into Chipotle and Hobby Lobby on Tuesday. :) BUT... I digress again!

So, Monday came and went in a blur. Pick-up was crazy, but it usually is during the first week. We went to celebrate a successful first day of school with ice cream. We all had a great time.


Yesterday, the world wobbled a bit. First off, hubby went to work. And, for the most part, our first day without Daddy is typically, in a word, horrible.

And yesterday was no different.

Daddy left and the rest of us went to school. I walked everyone in, said goodbye to the older 3 and started to escort #4 to his area. Then he started telling me, quite charismatically, I might add, that he didn't want to go to school. He sat in the hall. He tried to run away. He hollered, "NO!" *Grrrrr....* I don't take this very well. And, since I don't sugar coat.... ever.... it just made me mad.

Finally, one of the APs said that she would watch him while I left. The hope was that without me, he would realize he was there for the day and just transition into the classroom. SO... off I went. I had a minor breakdown on the way home. Although I'm sometimes tough on my kids, I do adore them with all that is in me. I felt SO BAD that I couldn't just scoop him up and run home. I felt bad that I couldn't spend another year with him.

And then the phone call came. The call that said I needed to come get this sweet cherub who, on the 2nd day of school, got to visit the Assistant Principal's office. :-/

I left to go pick up my child. I prayed about what to do and also theorized on the day and the upcoming year. Is he mature enough? Will he go into class if I take him? It took about 15 minutes to get to the school. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I got a 2nd call from the AP.... "He is fine," she said.


Yep.... fine.

SO, I went back home. I tried to do a few things here and there. There is so much to do before all the stuff I want to do. Then, there are so many things that I MUST do in order to do the things that need doing. Does that make any sense?

I picked up the boys and took care of many things that can only be done after school. I got only 1 kid in bed on time. Not because we were too busy, but because the other 3 kept fiddle-farting around. Gotta work on that. The whole time, I prayed about today. Yesterday was very hard on me, mentally. And believe me, I don't need help in that.

I also put out a call for prayer and believe me, I felt them.

This morning, my youngest said, again, that he didn't want to go to school. *sigh* He finally got out of bed. Everyone got up and dressed. They all ate breakfast and brushed their teeth. #4 begrudgingly got dressed, only expressing displeasure of wearing a blue shirt instead of red. Doing anything to keep him happy, he got a red shirt.

On the way to school, we all talked about the fun to be had in school and then we prayed for a good day. We walked in, I kissed and hugged the older 3, who went on their way. #4 turned to me, gave me a hug and said, "I know where my class is. You stay here."

Yep.... he walked, under his own power, to his class.

I can't tell you the relief. I was ready to camp out for awhile. I had my sweet tea and everything. I wasn't even needed. I don't really know how I feel about that.

Today is my first real day of dropping off my kids and having the day in front of me. How am I holding up? I'm not bored. I'm lonely. Even Food Network doesn't help.

On top of that, one of my best friends went back to work. My coupon buddy is gone. The gal I set up play dates with. The friend who would come over and we would bake... or at least talk about all the wonderful things we wanted to bake.

I am giving myself this week to adjust. It is always hard for me to adjust. I do have plans.... BIG PLANS! But, that is another blog for another day.

I do look forward to this year. The year when I will be able to easily volunteer in all of my kids' classrooms. The year I will be able to go look at Christmas stuff weekly.... well, I did that anyway. LOL! The year I will be able to do more baking and cooking. The year my house gets totally clean at the same time. The year I take care of all the portraits that are sitting in boxes. The year we have band 5 days a week in the morning, 3 soccer practices per week, 1 guitar lesson per week, 2 piano lessons per week, Karate 1 time per week, and JBQ nightly (times 4).

I guess as lonely as I am right now, I need to use that time to rest up for the extra-curricular activities we have.


Carol said...

Oh my goodness! I'm all tired out just reading your blog!! You are a busy, busy Mom, but so blessed!

Unknown said...

You are AMAZING. You will get alot done some days and nothing on others. Prayer really does help so much! {{HUGS}} I know I will need them on Leah's 1st day of Kindergarten in a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great post. I'm sure so many mum's can relate to it too.
The transition as ours kids grow up and move schools etc is hard on us, and them.
You do sounds like you will be busy with all these after school activities.
Hope today goes well for you all.