Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY


OK, friends. I have held onto this long enough. I don't know why I kept it to myself....it is my baby. (No...I don't cook and eat children....)

THIS recipe is the one most often asked for. When I make it, it always goes and I always have someone who wants to know how to make it. It is easy and SO yummy and savory.

ENJOY

Green Chile Casserole
(this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled...I'll just do a 'one batch' recipe)

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef (I use 85/15....you do want a little grease)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans chopped green chilies (Hatch is best!)
grated cheddar cheese
corn tortillas....maybe 6, cut or torn into large, bite-sized pieces

instructions

In a skillet, brown your beef, along with the diced onion. Salt and pepper to taste. (I always like to add a shake of cumin and red pepper flakes, as well.)

When browned, note the amount of grease. You don't want grease standing in the skillet, but you do want a nice sheen to the meat...you don't want it dry.

To the meat, add your cream of mushroom soup and your green chilies (not the sauce, but the peppers). Mix well.

In a casserole sprayed with Pam, put a layer of corn tortillas (be sure they are torn, or they will get tough)

Spoon half the meat mixture

Sprinkle a layer of cheese on sauce.

Repeat layers, ending with the cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes...until hot and bubbly.

This goes GREAT with my charro beans and then finished with my sopapilla cheesecake.

If you don't have corn tortillas, you can use crushed tortilla chips, but omit the salt to your meat.

This casserole freezes wonderfully. It is also good to assemble ahead of time, then bake. It is a perfect potluck recipe.

Hope y'all love it.

9 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

This will be great! Thanks! You will have to come back and see my Works for Me Wednesday post- coupon organizer!

A happy heart at home said...

My husband would *love* this! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

~Susan

Anonymous said...

I make this same thing, but with canned all white meat chicken. It is yummy. You can do the same thing with the Red Enchilada sauch, minus the green chilies and cream of chicken, instead of mushroom. I use Old Paso. Why do you recommend no to? Curious!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good, You will have to make sometime for bunco :)

R and R Stacy said...

Thanks, I'll have to try it. Sounds yummy!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

ooooo....yummy! Thanks ~ll~!!

~LL~ said...

Les...I don't think I answered you....the HATCH are just better tasting, in my opinion. And I know out here, they might not be as big as in NM.....so I'm endorsing them ;)

Anonymous said...

I will have to try it. Thanks!

Just Me - Again. said...

I think I will try this - only with the chicken version. Stupid cholesterol!