Saturday, June 04, 2011

MY BROKEN MUSCLE

Following is a recount of yesterday's (Friday) event.


My youngest boy calls it my "broken muscle." He is trying to be helpful....all the boys are.


I can't do a whole lot. I can hop around. I can put weight on the ball of my right foot and use it to hobble.... but I'm not supposed to. I'm not supposed to use it for a few days. So. Difficult. :-(


I don't sit around in pain... which is a good thing. But, I cannot walk as normal. If I extend my calf muscle at all, well... it's not good. The pain is intense.


My stubborn streak tells me to suck it up and work through it. However, we are leaving for a week, come Tuesday. I need to be able to walk around by Friday.... SO... I baby my leg.


Forgive me. A few of you do not know what happened. Please read the following that I posted in my notes on Facebook.



OK.... the back story.


On the 23rd, I was walking down some steps at a movie theater and on one of the down steps, my right calf clenched in pain. It felt like I had pulled the muscle. BUT, I was able to walk and use my leg.... I was OK. In fact, I wasn't even sore the next day.


On the 29th, I helped in our kids' worship service. It was a lot of fun.... until we jumped.... a lot. I could fee the pull in the leg, but still, I could work through it. If I jumped and landed equally on both feet, I was OK. When I tried to baby it.... well, let's just say that my coordination did not allow that.


Fast forward to today. I had not been having any soreness. It was all OK.


I was walking from the kitchen down our hall. (Really, that is as glamorous as it gets.) Anyway, during the aforementioned walk, I felt and heard a *POP* in my calf. It didn't drop me, but I could not walk.


I hollered for DS #1 to go get DH. He rushed to help me. We iced it... and began to research.


Upon our first, and quick look, we determined that I might have torn my calf muscle. Further investigation alarmed us.... especially considering that we are leaving on Tuesday.... and our vacation/JBQ Nationals will require a lot of standing/walking. So.... off we went to get it checked out.


Not sure what best to do, we decided to go to a CareNow. Then we decided that I should call my good friend doctor friend.


While waiting for her return call, we contacted another doctor friend.... who said it would be better to go to an ER.

We went to an ER. We weren't there too long, considering it was a Friday evening. They actually sent us to the Minor Emergency Clinic because my injury wasn't life threatening.... try telling that to my boys when they are all expecting supper. :0)


Long story short..... it is not a torn muscle. It is a "severe muscle strain." But, honestly... I have never had that kind of "owie." Imagine a bad Charlie Horse that you can't work out. It is so bad that if I put my foot flat on the floor, well.... it is almost enough to bring me to the floor. I can't support myself.

SO, guess what I get to enjoy for at least a week?


Crutches and a boot.


A BOOT!


Come JBQ, I might still be on crutches, but I promise, I will be sporting my sassy new crocheted TOMS!


I do have some fun muscle relaxers that I get to take.... kinda lookin' forward to that.


AND, for 2 days, at least, I get to sit and state my wishes. I am to stay off my feet as much as possible, for a week. So, the goal is: sit on my rump through Sunday.


Monday, I must get my nails done, go to the dentist.... (AGAIN!) and go to a piano recital. We will also be packing for our week long trip.


Tuesday and Wednesday will see a lot of FTU travel, so that shouldn't be too bad.


Thursday, will be the opening ceremony for JBQ National Festival.... some walking. Will probably need the crutches.


Friday and Saturday: I will be quiz-mastering..... a lot of standing. I hope to have a tall stool.... at the very least, a chair to sit in once the round is over.


The rest of the week.... well, DH is working on that, as we speak. A lot of what we were going to do in Chicago won't happen now.... :-(


I just pray that I'm done with crutches and the boot by next Friday.


Thank you, ALL, for the prayers. I have no doubt that it was key in this injury not being as serious as it could have been.

1 comment:

~Jamie~ said...

Drive careful and hope your leg is better soon!!