Monday, June 26, 2006

Swimming lessons

It amazes me that there are adults out there who don't know how to swim. While growing up, I took swimming lessons. Not just one year, but I took several years...up to the point of diving and water safety and such.

My parents were never worried for me to go with friends to the pool. I don't remember a lot of adults hovering over their kids. They sat in the bleachers, behind a fence at the end of one of the 3 pools. Now, there was the baby pool - that's where some parents were. But, kids 5 and up? Nah.

Anyway, I have all 4 of my boys in lessons. We are all in the pool at the same time, but in different groups. I do lessons with my baby, who just turned 1 a few weeks ago. He loves the water. I have such fond memories of being in the water...almost ALL the time (lakes, rivers, pools). I want my boys to have the same memories. I want to be fear-free because they learned appropriate behavior around pools.

As I was bouncing my baby in the water and going deeper (a whole 4 feet....my 7 year old can touch at that depth) 2 of the adults, with fear in their faces, stated that they couldn't swim. Now when I say fear, I mean the deer in the headlights look. You know, wide-eyed, color drained from their faces and their voices quivering. When the water got over our hips, they started to wimper that they didn't swim. What? Can't you even dog-paddle? Hmmmmm.....

I don't even know what to say to that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was talking to my mom the other day. She was telling me that some pools in Dallas are getting rid of their high dives because of liability reasons. "So sad," She said, "because many children learn courage by getting up there and jumping off." Sometimes I think we protect our children so much that we do them more harm than good. I don't know if this related to your blog or not, but it made me think of it when I read it.